Sunday, January 9, 2011

Happy Homemaker Tagalong


Elizabeth of Bluebird Papercrafts is hosting a year long tagalong and she was gracious enough to let me play along! She is a talented artist and infuses everything she creates with warmth and whimsy. For this swap we'll create two tags each month...one for a partner and one to keep. We are each to choose a theme in keeping with the Happy Homemaker idea and continue that theme throughout the year. One challenge Elizabeth has set for us is that we can only use one paper pack or 10 large sheets to last the entire year. This is what will make it really interesting.... we'll have to get very creative in our piecing of things as the year progresses. Every month on the 10th we'll reveal our tags on the Bluebird Papercrafts blog. Elizabeth also asked us to share a little about the choices we made...theme, paper etc. and our process. Here are a few photos of what I've chosen. I chose the Happy Homemaker paper pad from October Afternoon mainly because I had just purchased it and I love the nostalgic patterns and colors. I had some old red file folders that are the perfect weight for the base of my tags. The rest of the supplies are things I have on hand...rick rack and lace trim, buttons and bingo markers, paper doilies and old labels. We'll see what ends up on the tags!



Thank goodness I had some helpers to keep me company!

I knew I wanted to do something vintage that included children but I had a little trouble narrowing down my theme. I dearly love vintage childhood illustration and have several precious old magazines from the 30s, 40s and 50s. So, I decided my theme would be "As Seen in the Magazines."

For my first tag I've chosen a funny illustration of a young girl learning to knit. My take on this illustration is that it's January, she received her own set of knitting needles for Christmas and she's determined to teach herself to knit. Can't you see that determination in her face?

I love old sewing notions so I couldn't resist adding an old button, some rickrack and a few black snaps. I may add some glitter here and there yet but for now I haven't...we'll see! So, here's my tag for January.
Be sure to stop by Bluebird Papercrafts to say hello to Elizabeth and see the rest of January tags. See you in February!

23 comments:

Debbie Doughty said...

Oh, I love everything about your tag! The colors, the theme, the image, the notions... I can't wait to see what you create next month!

Angela said...

It's adorable!

Home and Heart said...

PRECIOUS! You made such a cute tag!

Nan said...

Oh I love this and you put snaps on the tag, never thought of that!!

Creative Breathing said...

I absolutely am enchanted! Your theme is so very unique, and I can't wait to see the vintage notions you add to tell your stories. I felt as though I was looking over your shoulder as you created your charming tags, your descriptions were fascinating. I can't thank you enough for joining our swap, and I am eagerly looking forward to what you will share next month! Elizabeth

Bettsi said...

Oh my! What a darling little girl! I love your tag!

Patty@sewingseeds said...

What a hoot that image is...you can really feel her frustration. Very cute tag.

She'sSewPretty said...

Ohhhhh! I just love your tag and I love the image you used!! I am having so much fun looking at all of the tags tonight. This is going to be so much fun!!

Joanna said...

Super tag - I love the papers and supplies, the colours are just perfect for the theme.

x

Pixie said...

What a great theme! That image is just to cute and you can just see that little gal's determination to learn to knit!

LBP said...

That image made me laugh out loud! Looks like me trying to knit. Something I have never been able to conquer! Love the tag!

Blessings

Linda

lizzidroege said...

just too adorable that is just what i look like when i knit!!!
lizzi

Tamera @ the Stone Fence Cottage said...

wow--your image looks like me (when I was a blonde) trying to knit!!
i can't wait to see what others you choose--so CUTE!!

Valerie said...

Oh I really love the little story that goes with your theme for the month of January. The fact that she got the knitting needles as a Christmas gift. It's pure imagination. I have participated in many swaps over the last 5 years. This by far has been the most endearing one of all! I so look forward to the rest of the year with each and everyone of you.

Cindy Is Crafty said...

I love the image of the knitting child. So great! Great card, too!

Linda Ruthie said...

Absolutely charming!

Sandy said...

If your tag doesn't make you smile, nothing will. The look on her face is priceless! What a cute tag, love it. So looking forward to see what you create in the months ahead. Happy to meet you and have you as a new friend.
xoso Sandy O

Amy said...

How funny, I can relate to her trying to knit. I teach children knitting and that is the pose and frustration I often see. Great job.

LaVerne said...

Your little girl's face is just the best ever...and that determined body language! Looking forward to each month to see how you use the sewing notions. I have scads that are stored and unused waiting for a Muse like you to nudge me into using. All the elements work together so well!

My Crafty Little Page said...

She made me laugh, too! Perfect job on using snaps and buttons. This is just a tagful of fun! Can't wait to see Febuary! xoxo Nancy

Linda said...

It's impossible to tell you how much I love this! Do I start with how cute the image is? the knitting? I give up... Can't wait to see next month!

Pam @ Frippery said...

Perfect image. That is just too cute!

Margie said...

Your tag is so adorable! She is concentrating so hard on those stitches! I love the paper you used and all the embellishments ... perfect! I can't wait to see your next one!

P.S. I sent you an email, I hope you got it!