Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A Sad Passing



You know how you carry things with you through your life? Things that were given to you and that you've used through the years never really thinking too much about them? You just always reach for them and they're there. Yesterday marked the sad passing of one of those things. My Sunbeam "Burst of Power" hand mixer bit the dust! Right in the middle of mixing up a Betty Crocker Strawberry cake mix! What a sad end! It would have been much sweeter if it had gone down during the creation of a splendid made from scratch masterpiece. But no, it happened during the mundane mixing of a box cake found in the pantry (probably passed its expiration date too) when the girls decided "we need a cake." This little mixer was given to me as a wedding shower gift by a wonderful group of nurses on the ortho/neuro floor of Crawford Long Hospital. I used to work there as a nursing assistant while I was in nursing school in Atlanta. They were a great bunch and taught me a lot. Well, little Sunbeam...thanks for 30 years of happy mixing!

The "pink" cake...a bundt no less!

8 comments:

Saskia said...

Oooh... your sad news made me smile.. :)

Take care!!!

Saskia

Quinn said...

I will be in mourning all the way home....

q

Thespa McLaughlin said...

It is sad when a kitchen companion bites the dust. They don't make them like that anymore. You should save the beaters and make art with them, challenge yourself. Showcase that baby in your kitchen so you'll always have them around. Here's to shopping for a new mixer. I recommend the type with the bowls, they are more expensive but man are they worth it. You won't believe how much easier they are to use, they practically make your cake for you, meaning they mix while you get your pans ready, or measure out your next ingredient. I lucked out and found a new one at a thrift store and picked it up even though I don't do much baking, I did more after getting it.

Have a happy day!

Beth Niquette said...

AAaaaaaaw....well, your sad news is understood. (grin) I remember when one of my favorite appliances broke recently. I was indeed sad.

We said a prayer over the recycle bin.... Just kidding!

junkrescuerbeth said...

What a charming post! Good luck with adjusting to a new kitchen appliance. That can be a biggie.

Beth of Salvage Studio

Lyneen said...

YIKES... you made me think of my hand mixer... it is about he same age. Oh I hope this is not catchy!

I am thinking of you in your time of sorrow! (giggle)

Linda said...

a moment of silence on this end for your old friend.....

Catherine said...

Oh no :( Perhaps a nice piece of altered art for your studio is in order..... Maybe a "DaDa" Mixer? The beaters would make very cool legs....