Monday, March 9, 2009

Buttons and Beeswax

Our lunch ladies group met last week for another great afternoon of shared fun, food and art. Cathy and Jo had the table all set for lunch including a gorgeous beeswax collage for each of us. Cathy and Jo are simply THE best and most gracious hostesses! After lunch we set to work on two different projects. Jo manned the beeswax station and Cathy taught us how to use her new fabulous button maker. I loved working with the
beeswax...it gave such a wonderful finish to each piece. I tried it on two atcs I had previously made and a new hanging collage piece I'm taking to my sister later this month. Jo showed us how to change the finish of the beeswax using either a heat gun or a small quilting iron. I loved it and I know I want to try it again. I'm on the prowl for an old crockpot for heating the beeswax. I can just see poor Q rolling his eyes and saying "another kitchen appliance taken for the sake of art." I promise...I won't use ours! Cathy's button maker was a big hit and I think we all had a great time using it. No, wait...I think Lyneen was so taken by the beeswax that she never made it over to the button maker! But, the rest of us had a great time. We made pin backs and flat backs. Once I got home I realized the flat back buttons worked perfectly with some pendant bales I had so I just had to make myself a new necklace. It was another fun afternoon spent with this special group. I'm just sad that I forgot to bring my camera this time so I have no photos of the actual festivities. But rest assured...Dagger did indeed come down for a dance with Grace!